This is a place for all broken grieving hearts to come, its my safe haven and I share this with all of you to be your safe haven. I am hoping through my journey of grieving as well as my real life experiences through grieving I can help all through their darkest hours, to ease the pain a little less, to maybe just give an ear to listen because sometimes that's all we need.


I am willing to bare all to each and everyone who comes to this blog. I want no one to be shy of anything. I want anyone to ask question's, tell their stories with pride. No one will judge you, or think you are different. We are all here going through the same thing GRIEVING. This is my safe haven, your safe haven. The place to heal, to find your smile again. Through this all I am on a journey to writing a book as well "The Grieving Path To Joy".

Oct 16, 2013

Don't let the barriers be your lead

 
 
 
I love remembering the greatest of memories on my days of great sadness because through those greatest of memories is what brings you home and back to the level of love that fills your entirety of your heart mind soul and body.  Remembering the memories that hold in your heart drives out the bad to leave you to find your smile so today was a day I was in remembrance of many funny, loving, warmth felt feelings of the person I no longer see here in this world.  It is through the memories that are so vivid to you that carry through you a piece of the person you have lost, it honors their life, it carries them through each and every day you make new memories that one day will be memories of the heart that will always conquer your darkness.  When I feel the shadows above I close my eyes to see those memories, feel those memories, smile of those memories to open my eyes to see nothing but the brightest of what is all around me.
Not so long ago after my husband passed and I bought our home my father was in a bad place and nowhere to go, although distant to him I knew in my heart the right thing to me was to give him a roof over his head, a place he could call home and not have the worries of where he would have to stay.  So many memories of that certain time in my life make my heart beam in knowing of the laughter he brought every day to my life the days he was with us, yes there were some hard times but those are strongly erased by the more of the greatest of memories that took place in our home.  On a day bright and sunny I was asleep due to working midnights but if you know me you know sleep is not a friend of mine, I am still not sure if it’s a problem or if it is just I don’t want to miss a thing.  As I laid trying to sleep I could hear the hustle and bustle of noises coming from my front porch, again not wanting to miss a thing this struck my curiosity leaving me to of course get up and check it out, eyes half close, half asleep I wandered to the front door to look outside being blinded by the beautiful sun shine and blue sky I looked to the left to see my father sitting in a chair but not alone on his lap was our dog max, well this may seem normal to you but our dog was huge, here was a 130 pound dog sitting up on my dad’s lap as each car went by both their heads in exact motion together watched the cars drive by.  As I looked to this I had to take triple glances in knowing if it was me half asleep or if it was really actually happening.  I could not believe how funny it was to see such an enormous dog sitting on a  man’s lap and seeing it was not at all uncomfortable to my dad as they sat there and to also see how in sync both of their heads were watching everything that passed by.  I smiled and laughed so hard and could not believe what I was seeing, getting my dad’s attention he just glanced at me and smiled as if to say “life is great” enjoying the warmth, sun and beautiful blue skies of the day they both were doing together.
Then thinking of another day as we all sat out on our beautiful porch talking, laughing, enjoying the afternoon in the calm and peace of what our life felt that day I noticed my dad sitting on the stair to our porch, growing up with little time I was with my dad I always knew of the clumsiness that he held in him, I sat to watch everyone chatting to see my dad lean over to lean on the rail but on that side there was no rail, just before I could get the words out of mouth my dad had already leaned and off the porch he went landing in the flowers underneath him, of course out of normal reaction everyone jumped up but he was fine and that lead to the kind of laugh that it makes your stomach hurt and eyes water, this alone to this days still has the same effect  on me.  So many of moments grab my heart of memories of him that I truly have special of times with him to remember even though we were so distant and not of normal father daughter relation.  That even he was so absent in my life there are still memories that fill my all to help with those surprising moments of sadness that creep up on you so fast.  I smile in knowing yes I do have memories of the heart and joy to fill the sadness that I do have memories of us that are of the greatest no matter how bad our times were as father and daughter.
 
 

Another memory was of me cooking supper for us one day, a nice pot roast was cooking as I chopped vegetables to go with, as the potatoes boiled in the pan I could see my dad creeping for something to pick in, thinking to myself, “what possibly could he taste if everything was in a hot pan cooking”?  well not really sure what my dad was thinking I see him reach into the potato pan take one out in the boiling water and throw it in his mouth, my jaw dropped in thinking so many of things but knowing my dad I knew it was totally something he would do, in me lays a little of that trait clumsiness with not thinking before doing haha.  Well he spit that potato out so fast with a lot of chosen cuss words, I never laughed so much as I did seeing the reaction on his face and the chosen words that came out of his mouth, my aunt, my mom, my husband all witnesses were as I was at first shocked but yet again laughing so much our bellies hurt.  This memory another I keep in my special place when times get dark in my life I’m living now without my dad here on earth.  It is all of the greatest memories that become your special gifts to the life you move forward in without those you lost, it’s truly in that love of the moment that will take you so far beyond the pain that wants to consume them all, remembering keeps you full of their love and where there is love there are no darkness that can ever take place with that space.
While being young there were weekends I would visit my dad on the weekends, there was a moment now that gets to me every time to fill my all with a smile while back then I’d think to myself “omg my dad is such a nerd”.  He loved his Rolling Stones and here I was a young girl so not into that music being the hip cool person I thought I was and thinking oh how lame my dad was for the music he liked.  So here comes a McJagger song and there is my dad singing, dancing acting as if he was though the most bad @$$ dude on earth getting down being McJagger, it was as though he was on stage performing, I never again laughed so hard in my life but you know what to this day I’m 36 and will rock it to a song and dance around with a spoon in my hand thinking I’m a star on stage, not so different is it?  It truly is a true gem to me to find the similarities that lay in me that never realised before.  All the memories that fill my heart always turn out the darkness leaving my all feel as though I am taking in all of my father’s soul, that leave me with a smile rather than tears that were filling my eyes. 
My dad on weekends was always something we knew my brother and I just knew would be full of things that were of trouble and mischief but a good trouble.  One weekend on a cold night my dad says to us “there’s  this man that is such a pain in the @$$ that I want to prank, being young and loving a good adventure my brother and I looked to one another like oh man what is going to happen to our dad cause we always knew his clumsiness took over any idea he pondered in his head, he looks to us holding eggs, says to us follow me, but you better be able to run fast or we will get caught, so me and my brother followed laughing cause we knew we could run fast it was our dad we were worried about.  We go out the back door of his apartment my dad holding the eggs as he points to the apartment behind us saying “there that’s where that pain in the @$$ lives”  than says “ok get ready to run as fast as you can”, and takes the eggs and throws them to the patio of the man for some reason bothered him as we see him throwing the very first egg my brother and I never ran as fast as we did, looking back I could see the light turn on to the apartment but not seeing my dad, thinking where the heck did he go looking down on the gravel I see him, my brother and I faraway look back seeing him bolt but whipped out on the gravel.  Laughing so hard and thankfully out of the sight of the man we go back helping my dad get up, my brother and I knew something would end up happening as it did in the back of our mind.  This may not be a good idea for anyone to try but a memory again that still to this day makes me laugh and smile so much that is embedded so deeply in my heart of remembrance of my dad and our memories together that never leave me astray of nothing but smiles.
 
 
 
There were many nights while working since where I was not very far at all my dad would roam over, an every time he would enter the store I’d look down and say “really dad, no shoes”, you have come here so many times and always each and every time I told you where your shoes are?  You need to have them to be in here.  Every time he did this I was not frustrated but laughed at the fact that this man was walking around with no shoes, and when I asked why he would say “well daughter it’s not like I’m going across town, and do you know how much work it is to keep putting my shoes on and off for such little distance I’m going?”  Yes that’s my dad I said to the others I worked with not caring at all what they thought but only laughing about just how freely he was and how against rules he always was.   Than watching him like a little kid stalk up with loads and loads of candies, smile at me as if to say “ha I did it again and got what I wanted”.  It makes me smile to know that disobedient side he had lays in me from time to time, but in his good disobedient way.
Then there was a time as a teenager I just had to have a cool jean jacket, although I knew where this would be going knowing my dad wanted to go to the mall with me and pay for what I wanted.  For any teenager you all know how it is going to the mall with your parents but that isn’t anything compared to going to the mall with my dad?  As we walk through the mall browsing store after store my dad wanting to stop to look at everything he seen of course where as me I just wanted to go find my jacket and get out knowing behind my dad there is always something that goes down lol.  So in a store while looking for a jacket there’s my dad trying on women’s clothes over his own yelling to me “daughter, daughter, how does this look?  As every person in the store looked around to who exactly his daughter was I wanted to run but playing his game laughing so hard there was no denying that it was me who was the daughter he was calling for.  More and more shirts, jackets and yes shoes were tried on and every moment he just had to keep yelling out to me for my opinion.  You see not at all I was embarrassed, more of me never laughed as much as I did at the free spirit he was and the fact that he’d go to any circumstances to see me smile.
Then there was a night my dad decides to be superman to my brother and me at the theatre, we went to the movies on an open night of a movie we wanted to see and in fear my dad was determined to get us those tickets without getting told “sold out”.  So my brother and I knowing where to go walked normally to the line ahead while my dad is running like a mad man going up a flight of stairs yelling at us “come onnnnnn you guys you’re going to miss it, they’re going to be sold out”, as all this is going on there were so many of people looking at us while my brother and I could not even speak because we were laughing so hard, to get it out “dad the ticket booth is here where are you going?”  He actually fought with us and determined that no we were not at the right place, yelling at us as people looked to us as if we were some crazy people but wow that moment is always a memory that comes up and makes us laugh just as much as it did on that day.
 


 

The most important part of all this to me is that no matter how hard it was for my father and I that still in my heart were the greatest of memories.  That no matter how hard it was for us to see eye to eye or even be in the presence of one another there were still so many of loving, memorable treasures to carry me through my hard times and that will always will from  now and always.  I smile in knowing that no matter how hard of a relationship you have with someone there is always the most greatest of memories to fill your whole being with, no matter how hard or how bad the relationship felt those treasure of memories are there to be with you in your heart and remind just how not horrible you seemed to think it was.  It is those memories you hold deep in your heart to carry that person with you through the life you live and to hold you up through the hardest of your days.  It keeps them alive each and every time you remember and smile of those memories.  These memories are not even half of what I hold in my heart, so knowing just how blinded by anger, resentment, and grudges we can be if we do not let go of it all to forgive we will never be able to see the actual beauty that was with us in that relationship.
You see when someone close to you passes but in that relationship was so much hardship it doesn’t matter because no matter what you can find the greatest of memories you had with that person, letting go and forgiving will lead you home to love, your heart will open to feel that love to know it was there all along just covered by such unforgiving anger, through it in you there is always a way to see that love of the person you lost that was so distant yet so close because the memories of such greatness comes back to you over flowing into your mind, heart and soul.  I smile in knowing that the bad that I felt were just my own wall up against the memories of love that we had made even through toughest of times.  Right now and to the days forward I get to understand to take in all of my dad fully, into my heart, body and soul to understand it was not as bad as I felt it was, that in his memory lays so many of most amazing times together, even if some of those memories got us in trouble it is still memories that fill my heart with all of his being.
NOTE TO ALL:  A relationship that may seem of a strain to our all may not at all be how we perceive it to be due to the blinders we let invade our sight, and the resentment that we let build a wall for nothing to get through.  In my pain I’ve found the blessings, I am so proud to be my father’s child, and so proud of the lessons he has brought straight to my heart.  Not for a second I doubt that he never ever stopped loving me because in my memories are a love of the greatest. 
 
The path my father has turned me on is a path no words will ever describe and where it leads me will be a dream even bigger that I could of ever imagined.  The two most important men that I have lost have come to be the most influential people in my life that lead me to a path so bright my heart beams as bright as the sun.  Thank you dad and thank you my love of my life Jean-Guy for making me open up to the life as it should be, bright, beautiful, full of love and joy, a place where I know I am  making a difference to this world for the better.
You and only you are the one that puts the barriers up to those that want to come into your world, to the ones you thought brought so much pain to your heart are only how you claim it to be.  No matter how hard of the relationship is if that person is a significant person to your life there will always be memories in you of them full of love, you just have to let go of the barriers to see those memories, to know yes there was love, that yes they loved you.  You are the barrier to the love that you let into your life, if guided by negativity never will you be able to open your heart to see the good of that life that was so special to your life. 
 
Yup this is the song my dad rocked it out to, I remember it like it was yesterday and the look on his face as though he was McJagger singing, one bad @$$ dude.
 

 
 
 
 

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 Widow in the City , AllRightsReserved.

Designed by JS Designs